Posted by : Unknown Sunday 21 December 2014

Afridi to retire after World Cup 2015



Shahid Afridi, the veteran Pakistan All-Rounder has announced that he will retire from One Day Cricket after the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 to be held in February-March in Australia & New Zealand.



"My journey has seen many ups and downs but I am feeling satisfied that I am leaving on my own terms," Afridi wrote on Twitter.
The 34-year-old Afridi, already retired from Tests in 2010, said the decision was "hard" but he had to leave with an eye to the future of the team.
"My 18 years' dream dedicated to Pakistan. First ever player (respect) to have taken such a hard decision but (it) will pave way for many new talents."
Afridi was the captain of the national team that lost to eventual Champions India in the semifinals in the 2011 World Cup. He has played 389 ODIs, hitting the fastest century (off 37 balls) on his debut in October 1996 against Sri Lanka in Nairobi at the tender age of 16. The record stood for more than 17 years before Kiwi Corey Anderson broke it in January this year by just 1 ball's margin.
"I am happy about my achievements and records but the only regret I have is losing fastest ODI century record," he said.
The flamboyant cricketer has scored 7,870 ODI runs at an average of 23.49 and a strike-rate of 116.29. He has also taken 391 wickets, the sixth-highest in ODIs, at 33.89 and an economy-rate of 4.62.
"Thank you so much for all your support and prayers throughout my ODI career ... it means alot to me ... love you all!"

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Sports Stories - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -