Posted by : Unknown Thursday 31 July 2014

Nadal pulls out of Rogers Cup

Nadal after Winning US Open 2013

Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from Rogers Cup due to a wrist injury.

“I’m extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my Rogers Cup title this year,” said Nadal, who beat Canada’s Milos Raonic in last year’s final in Montreal.

 “Unfortunately I injured myself yesterday during practice and after checking with my doctors I will have to stay out of competition for at least two to three weeks. I am sorry to the tournament and to all of the fans.”

Tennis fans in Canada will not be able to witness the Spanish 28-year-old champion defend his title in Toronto.

Nadal is also expected to miss the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati, the other big summer hard-court Masters tournament, after the Rogers Cup. It opens up speculation about whether the 14-time Grand Slam champion will be fit enough to defend his U.S. Open title when that event kicks off on August 25. The New York Times reports that Nadal’s wrist will be casted for 2-3 weeks.

“We know Rafa is a fan favourite and our fans will be upset by his absence”  “But we also know that if Rafa could play he would as he has a great respect for our event and his Canadian fans.” said Karl Hale, Rogers Cup tournament director.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Sports Stories - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -